I can’t believe I didn’t find this book until I was pregnant with my 5th child! This book has seriously changed my life, and hugely enhanced my connection to and appreciation for my postpartum experience and my precious body. I will forever recommend this book to every pregnant woman I know. It would also make an incredible baby shower gift or gift to a pregnant friend or new mother. The official synopsis reads:
A guide to help support women through post-partum healing on the physical, emotional, relational, and spiritual levels.
This holistic guide offers practical advice to support women through postpartum healing on the physical, emotional, relational, and spiritual levels - and provides women with a roadmap to this very important transition that can last from a few months to a few years.
Kimberly Ann Johnson draws from her vast professional experience as a doula, postpartum consultant, yoga teacher, body worker, and women's health care advocate, and from the healing traditions of Ayurveda, traditional Chinese medicine, and herbalism - as well as her own personal experience - to cover:
- how you can prepare your body for birth;
- how you can organize yourself and your household for the best possible transition to motherhood;
- simple practices and home remedies to facilitate healing and restore energy;
- how to strengthen relationships and aid the return to sex;
- learning to exercise safely postpartum;
- carrying your baby with comfort;
- exploring the complex and often conflicting emotions that arise postpartum;
- and much more.